Monday, March 28, 2005

HELLO, IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE – The Dark Tower

I’ve noticed, since I’ve come back, that blo.gs is not registering my updates, and thus comics weblog updates doesn’t “see” new posts of mine. Sent an email, hope it gets fixed, but the likelihood of anything I write actually getting read at this point is getting pretty low.

I’m almost through an audiobook listen of Stephen King’s Dark Tower Book IV: Wizard and Glass. I read the book when it came out, and am re”reading” all the Dark Tower books right now in service of reading the complete series. I’ll comment on the series as a whole when I’ve finished, but suffice it to say that this holds up as the best Stephen King book since It (a personal favorite), at least, and probably holds together as a story better than It did. The flashback part of the book (which is about 85% of it) would make a terrific miniseries as this and the first book (The Gunslinger) would adapt fairly well.

I tolerated book 2 (The Drawing of the Three) less well this time out than when I had first read it (possibly due to the irritating way the reader does Eddie and Detta/Odetta/Susanah (2 of the three main characters), possibly making me dislike them in a way that reading the book didn’t. The book also comes off as dated, despite the “revised” designation.

Book 3 (The Wasteland), however, fared better in my mind. I had a memory of the end of the book being repetitive and boring, but it didn’t bother as much this time. The beginning was not great, but this is likely due to my aversion to anymore of the New York mumbo jumbo after book 2.

As happened the first time, I can really feel the tragedy coming in book 4, and it is making me tense even when I’m not listening. Now it’s onto Book 5 (Wolves of the Cala) that I haven’t read yet.

2 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Mikester said...

Have you tried going to ping.blo.gs and pings blo.gs manually? The only downside is that you have to do it manually pretty much from then on, but the site provides a bookmark that you can save for future use.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Expos 1983 Blog said...

I'm still with ya Todd--although I've never read King, so I have nothing to contribute to this discussion, sadly...

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home